Traffic Safety and Tickets

Police Agent giving a traffic citation.

The traffic objective of the department shall be to reduce traffic collisions and injuries and to facilitate the safe and expeditious flow of vehicular and pedestrian traffic through the public's voluntary compliance with traffic regulations. The department seeks to achieve this objective through a combination of education and enforcement.

For additional Traffic Safety information, please visit the CDOT Safety Page


A ticket is a legal notice to the violator that they have been accused of violating a traffic law. Some violators are required to sign traffic tickets at the time they are issued. Signing a ticket acknowledges receipt and the duty to appear in court and does not serve as an admission of guilt or agreement with the charge. Some traffic violations carry criminal penalties, which will be handled in accordance with the criminal court process. These charges include, but are not limited to, no proof of insurance, speed contest, reckless driving, careless driving and speeding 25 mph or more.

Traffic and parking tickets issued for municipal and county courts show the required court appearance date, time and location in the center of the ticket. Some traffic offenses require a court appearance, while others may have provisions for a mail-in procedure. Check the reverse side of your ticket for instructions about mail-in.

Failure to appear in court as required, or to mail in a payment if applicable, could result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.

Misdemeanor criminal offenses are charged on the same ticket form as traffic charges. Again, an appearance date will be noted in the center of the ticket. There are no mail-in provisions for criminal offenses. Follow the instructions listed on the back of the ticket for guidance on the required court appearance. 

Continuances must be requested in person, at the Violations Bureau counter 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, before the scheduled court date.

Pay a Parking or Traffic Ticket.

Contact Information:

Municipal Court

445 South Allison Parkway
Lakewood, CO 80226
Direct: 303-987-7400


May I come in before my scheduled traffic or animal court date?

You will need to appear in person at the Violations Bureau counter and inform the clerk you would like to be seen early. Traffic and animal case arraignments are held at 8:15 a.m., Monday through Thursday. In the majority of cases, if you are under age 18, you need to appear with a parent or legal guardian. Please arrive 15 minutes before the arraignment session. 

Should I plea bargain or go to trial?

Court staff cannot provide legal advice. You may request to speak with a prosecutor about your case. 

What are the possible penalties for a traffic infraction?

The maximum penalty is a $200 fine for class 4 infraction and a $400 fine for class 3 infraction. A 10 percent victim witness surcharge, and a $35 court cost or processing fee is added to all fines.

How should I dress to come to court?

Appropriate attire is required. Clothing should be modest and not offensive. 

What are the possible penalties for a traffic offense?

The maximum penalty for class 2 traffic offenses is a $2,650 fine or 365 days in jail, or a combination of the two. Fines are imposed at the judge’s discretion. A 10 percent surcharge and a $35 court cost or processing fee is added to all fines. 

What if I miss my court date?

You will need to appear in person at the Violations Bureau counter and inform the clerk that you missed your court date. It is advantageous to appear before a warrant is issued for your arrest. 

What is a plea bargain?

A plea bargain results when the prosecutor offers a reduction in points and gives the defendant the opportunity to plea to a lesser charge. Some traffic infractions are offered an approved plea bargain by mail. 

How do the police respond to a motor vehicle accident?

Upon arriving at the scene of an accident involving one or more vehicles, the police agent will do the following:

  • Make sure the scene is safe

  • Call an ambulance if needed

  • Obtain a brief synopsis of the incident and a description of the suspect and vehicle in a hit-and-run

  • If the accident involved a hit-and-run, relay information to a dispatcher so police units in the area can be informed

  • Check for physical evidence

  • Take a detailed report

  • Question witnesses

  • Give the drivers involved a case report number for the accident

  • Take enforcement action as appropriate

  • Answer drivers' questions

What is Accident Alert?

When there is severe weather or other extenuating circumstances, you may hear news reports that Lakewood is on "accident alert." When on accident alert, Lakewood police agents will only respond to accidents with injuries, when a vehicle is not able to be driven or there are other concerns, such as alcohol or drugs. If you are in a minor accident when we are on accident alert, you should call us, but you may be directed to file an accident report within 24 hours at the police station. Make sure you exchange information with the other driver because it will be required for the accident report. Necessary information includes:

  1. Driver's personal contact information (name, date of birth, address and phone numbers)

  2. Vehicle information (license plate (state and number), year, make, model, VIN, color and extent of damage)

  3. Insurance information (company, expiration date and phone number)

  4. Accidents occurring during accident alert should now be reported online at Colorado Online Accident Report.

Do I need to call the police if my accident had minor damage, and the other driver does not want to call the police?

  • State traffic law requires immediate police notification of traffic accidents involving any property damage or injury claim.

  • When in doubt, call police for instructions on reporting and documenting the accident.

  • If you fail to call police immediately, the accident might not be investigated, and you might only have a civil claim against the other driver.

How do I report a traffic accident if it occurs on private property?

The Lakewood Police Department does not investigate accidents occurring on private property (driveways, parking lots, etc.) unless the following circumstances exist:

  • Injury or fatality

  • Hit-and-run

  • Damage to public property

  • Indication of alcohol or drugs involved

  • Indication of reckless driving

If I have an accident on private property, and the owner of the damaged property is unknown, what do I do next?

  • Remain on scene until you attach a note with your personal information to the damaged property.

  • Then call police immediately to receive instructions on how to report the accident.

If police do not respond to my minor traffic accident, what should I do?

A Colorado Financial Responsibility Act form must be completed and mailed to the Colorado Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Division within 10 days if you are involved in an accident on public property and no official law enforcement report is filed. This includes any accident, regardless of damage or injury. Failure to make this report will result in the suspension of your driver's license. These blank report forms may be obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles or any police station.