Food Trucks


Are you considering bringing your food truck to Lakewood?

This page will walk you through city definitions, processes and requirements related to food trucks.

Requirements for Food Trucks


  1. Find Your Zoning: View the city's Zoning Map and type in your address without punctuation. Select your address from the drop-down list and click on "More Detail" to view a window of information. Scroll until you see "Zoning" to find your zone district.

  2. Is Your Zone Eligible? Any zone district that allows for a retail use is eligible for food trucks. Retail is an allowed use for mixed-use, commercial and light industrial zone districts. Food trucks are not allowed in residential zone districts unless they are approved as part of a block party.

Sales Tax License

All businesses operating in Lakewood must obtain a City of Lakewood Sales or Use Tax License. Please visit the Finance web page for details.


Although no “Food Truck Permit” is required, you must comply with the standards below:

  1. Complete the Short-Term Temporary Use Application(PDF, 659KB) if you find a location with eligible zoning and plan to operate in Lakewood for more than four days per calendar year. There is no application fee.
  2. Display a Lakewood business license at all times, unless operating in Lakewood for only one event per calendar year.
  3. Abide by all the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment regulations.
  4. Have written property owner authorization on hand at all times. 
  5. Supply a trash container and dispose of any waste properly.
  6. Abide by all parking laws.
  7. Abide by the Jefferson County Public Health and Environment regulations (Denver licenses do not transfer to Lakewood due to different standards).