Rabies, Sick and Injured Animals

Wild coyote and a woman running.

All dogs, cats and ferrets are required to be vaccinated against rabies by 4-months-old.  The animal owner is then required to keep the vaccination up to date, as directed by their veterinarian.

For more information about rabies visit Jefferson County Heath.

Sick or Injured Animals

Contact Animal Control immediately regarding any sick or injured stray animals or wildlife.  It is not safe for you to try to capture the animal.  A call to Animal Control will dispatch an officer to pick up the stray animal and have it cared for by an animal health professional.

If your own pet is sick or injured contact your veterinarian, an animal emergency veterinary hospital or one of the 24-hour facilities listed below.



24 Hour Vet Facilities

Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital

10140 W. 44th Ave., Wheat Ridge, CO 80033


Animal Critical Care.

2201 Wadsworth Blvd., Lakewood, CO 80214


Animal Bites

Colorado state law requires that all animal bites that break the skin, with the exception of rodents, be reported to the local animal control agency where the bite occurred.  This includes bites inflicted by the victim's own animal. When a human is bitten by a domestic animal, such as a dog, cat or ferret, the biting animal is placed on quarantine for ten days, usually at the owner's residence.  Other domestic animals have quarantine restrictions as recommended by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.  

Animal Control officers investigate bite incidents for violations of municipal code.  Although most bite incidents are provoked, our ordinances address the control of aggressive and dangerous animals.  Lakewood Animal Control recommends obedience training for your dog, allowing it to be part of your family.  Dogs left in your yard, alone and for long periods of time, can become a nuisance - causing barking problems or worse.  Dogs tethered in the yard may become aggressive.

If a wild animal has bitten a person or pet, contact Animal Control immediately.  Do not dispose of any dead wild animal that has bitten a pet or a human before contacting Animal Control.

Contact Information:

Animal Control