Proof of Insurance
If you are charged with failure to comply with compulsory insurance, you must provide proof at least two weeks before your court date. Unless you receive notification from the Prosecuting Attorney's Office that your case is being dismissed before your court date, it is mandatory that you appear on your court date. Failure to do so could result in a warrant being issued for your arrest. If you have a second charge, or if you were not insured on the date of violation, it is mandatory that you appear on your court date. If you have not provided proof of insurance before your court date, your case will be continued when you appear on the court date and time listed on your ticket.
You should provide proof by:
- Mail: Lakewood Municipal Prosecutor’s Office
445 S. Allison Parkway
Lakewood, CO 80226-3106
- Personal appearance: 8:30 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.-4 p.m., Monday through Friday
Your proof of insurance must include the following:
- A copy of your valid and current insurance card or policy.
- Your insurance agent’s name and telephone number.
- The L or LE number from your ticket or a copy of your ticket.
- Your name and date of birth.
To protect your privacy, your insurance agent may not release policy information without your approval. The Lakewood Prosecutor’s office needs this information to process your case before your next court appearance. You must call your insurance agent and give permission to release necessary information to the prosecutor’s office to verify your policy, or you may ask your agent to call the prosecutor’s office at 303-987-7450 to verify your coverage.