Park Fire Restrictions
A fire restriction is in place for City of Lakewood natural areas and open space parks.
Activities never allowed
- Building, maintaining, attending or using any fire or campfire, except within a permanently constructed fire grate or grill in natural areas and parks.
- Burning in a careless manner, leaving a fire unattended or failing to extinguish any fire.
- Burning trash or debris.
- Using ANY fireworks, including sparklers, Roman candles, sky lanterns or any other device containing an explosive substance.
- Failing to take adequate measures, such as having a fire extinguisher, hose or shovel nearby to prevent uncontrolled fires.
- Use of model rockets in parks and open space with the exception of one area in Bear Creek Lake Park during scheduled events only as designated by the Community Resources director.
Activities not allowed during a fire restriction
- Use of model rockets.
- Smoking, except in an enclosed vehicle or an area six feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all combustible materials. All smoking materials must be discarded in approved containers.
Activities not allowed during a fire ban
Activities during red flag warnings
- During red flag warnings, residents and park users are encouraged to be extra cautious with any activity with potential fire risk.
Activities allowed during fire restrictions and fire bans
- Use of liquid or gas-fueled appliances, including but not limited to, gas grills, gas fire pits and gas stoves. The rule of thumb is that a fire is allowed if it can be "turned off" rather than "put out".
- Fires authorized by permit from the West Metro Fire Department.
For additional information, please visit West Metro Fire Rescue or call 303-989-4307.