Department: Community Resources
Committee: Campground Host
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-697-6159.
Complete a volunteer application online, or call Bear Creek Lake Park at 303-697-6159 for further information.
The Campground Host’s primary responsibility is to provide for a safe, enjoyable and well maintained campground experience for park visitors.
The volunteers are responsible for assisting as an extension of the park rangers and maintenance staff at the Bear Creek Lake Park Campground. The volunteer will provide the following services:
- Live onsite in their own RV.
- Patrol campground, greet campers, provide guest services such as answering questions and providing directions.
- Provide education to campers on rules, regulations, and camping safety.
- Sell firewood bundles and park passes.
- Provide daily light maintenance including cleaning fire rings and picking up litter.
- Provide other needed maintenance when staff is not available including cleaning restrooms, cabins, and yurts.
- Monitor campsite occupancy and post daily camping tags.
- Resolve conflicts and complaints, and handle emergency situations appropriately, requesting staff assistance when needed. Contact Lakewood Police for afterhours issues that arise.
- Utilize park radio, utility vehicle and basic maintenance supplies and tools.
- Represent the City of Lakewood’s values and mission in all actions and contacts.
The volunteer must be able to prove the following ability to:
- Provide own RV that is in good condition and represents the City professionally.
- Able to be a professional representative of the City and ability to resolve conflicts and communicate effectively.
- Complete required training.
- Make routine public contacts and provide basic rules education.
- Background check and motor vehicle record are required.
A minimum of 25 hours of volunteer time is required per week. The focus of this time should be on Friday-Sunday and holidays.
It is expected that Campground Hosts will be available for questions, concerns and issues whenever onsite, and willing to handle occasional late-night issues when necessary.
Preference will be given to hosts who are able to volunteer for the majority of the camping season (April-October).
Minimum 21 years of age.
Training will be provided by park staff including the basics of host duties, resolving conflicts, radio use and maintenance needs. A two-week trial period will be required to ensure host suitability. At the end of the two-week period, park staff will evaluate performance and determine if the host will continue volunteering, complete additional training, or if the volunteer(s) is not a good fit for the position.
Outdoor – This program participates during spring, summer and fall. The changing Colorado weather is a strong factor.
As a volunteer for City of Lakewood Parks there is a potential for many benefits including, but not limited to:
- Compensated camping fees and utility hookups (electric, water, sewer).
- A Bear Creek Lake Park Annual Pass.
- Education and trainings.
- Obtaining skills for future employment.