Police tips for staying safe during the holidays
Published on December 01, 2020
Lakewood Police want you to stay safe during the holidays
The holiday season is always a special time of year. Unfortunately, with the good will, cheer and jolliness can also come an increase in crimes of opportunity. These crimes occur when a perpetrator sees an easy opportunity and takes advantage of it. Fortunately, you can do something about this. Follow these tips from the Lakewood Police Department to help make sure you’re not a victim of one of these crimes.
- Purchase additional locks for all doors and windows and make sure they are locked.
- Ensure that dark areas and entrances have outdoor lights that are turned on after dark or are activated by sensors.
- Install security cameras.
- Consider a lock box for all home deliveries.
- Sign up for tracking alerts on all online orders.
- Purchase a device known as a smart lock that uses a camera to monitor your front porch if you won’t be home when packages are delivered.
While out and about
- Always make sure all car doors are locked and secured.
- Never leave gifts, purses, wallets or anything else of value openly visible in your car. Use the trunk as much as possible.
- Pick your parking spot wisely. Look for a well-lit area. If you own a small car, try not to park next to a large vehicle, which can block your vision or another person’s view of you while you are entering or exiting your vehicle.
- Shop during daylight hours if possible.
- Never leave your car running. Even if you’re just running into a store or gas station, it takes just a few seconds for a thief to steal your car.
- Do not exit your car if you see a suspicious situation. If you are in doubt, or are approached, drive away.
In all settings
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Chances are if something doesn’t look right, it’s probably not.
- If you see something, say something. For emergencies, always call 911. For a non-emergency, you can call to speak to a dispatcher at 303-980-7300.
Don't let the stress that can come with the current times and holidays get the best of your holiday spirit. Make time to safely connect with family, friends and neighbors. And think about reaching out in the spirit of the season to help someone who's less fortunate or lonely.
Stay safe and Happy Holidays from the Lakewood Police Department!
Want the latest from the Lakewood Police Department including safety tips and crime bulletins? Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram at @LakewoodPDCO.