UPDATE on celebrating the planet!
Published on April 08, 2021
WEATHER UPDATE: Chalk art and activities at Heritage Lakewood will be moved to Sunday, April 18 from Saturday, April 17 for the best chance of dry conditions and comfortable temperatures for the chalk artists and staff. Yard sign and energy conservation kit giveaways will still be available on Saturday, April 17 during reduced hours from 9 a.m. to noon for those who signed up online, and we have added a pickup window on Sunday, April 18 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
We have a celebration planned for Earth Day that the community can enjoy from home, in neighborhoods and at local parks.
Featuring a mix of public art, educational opportunities, community-building activities, individual sustainability actions and highlights from partners about their own sustainability efforts, this year’s Earth Day Celebration will premiere online and around the community on April 17.
- Chalk art installations at Heritage Lakewood Belmar Park starting April 17.
- Free giveaways of upcycled Earth Day yard signs and energy conservation kits with LED lightbulbs and additional resources. Sign up online for pickup on April 17.
- LandMark public art exhibit opening on April 17 in 10 Lakewood parks.
- Earth Day video playlist of greetings from the community, quick educational snippets, deep dives into a variety of sustainability topics, highlights from community partners about their work and sustainability efforts, and promotions for sustainable products and services.
- Family-friendly checklist of fun and practical at-home activities to make an individual impact.
Although our traditional in-person festival won’t occur this year, we continued the practice of having a contest for the artwork that appears on posters and other material for the celebration. Longtime Lakewood resident Scott Traut was this year’s winner, and his artwork is attached.
Sign up for yard signs and conservation kit giveaways, or get more information at Lakewood.org/EarthDay. Watch the video playlist starting April 17 on the website or at Lakewood8’s YouTube channel.