Go behind the scenes and see what police officers do. The Lakewood Police Department’s Youth Police Academy will take place June 2-6, 2014 at the Lakewood Police Department. The academy is daily from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. Teens ages 16 to 18 from local high schools with a GPA of 2.0 or better are eligible.
The Youth Police Academy is a 40-hour program for 16-18 year olds to experience what it's like to be a police agent. The academy is designed to be a hands-on, active experience for motivated youth who will have the unique opportunity to interact with and learn from police agents in a safe environment. Through team-building exercises, classroom instruction and numerous realistic training activities, participants learn to appreciate for the challenges facing police - and how police attempt to accomplish their mission in our community.
Who should apply? Future police officers, aspiring criminal justice workers and high school students who have a general interest in civics, government and the community are encouraged to apply. You can download and print the application by using the link on the right side of this page (under forms). Please read the application and follow the instructions thoroughly.
- 16-18 years old or attending a Lakewood school (public or private school)
- Students must have parental or guardian approval in writing
- Completed at least the 10th grade
- Possess a valid Colorado driver's license or permit
- GPA of at least 2.0
- Eagerness to learn more about the police and criminal justice system
- Complete an application and submit to a background check
- $20 registration fee
Check out the Youth Police Academy video!