Creating a sustainable Lakewood requires participation from government, residents, and businesses. The City of Lakewood strives to engage the community at all levels through information distribution, events, and programs.
Employees' Committee for a Sustainable Lakewood
The Employees' Committee for a Sustainable Lakewood is a cross-departmental committee that was established in 2007. The committee is responsible for:
- Educational and outreach programs for employees
- Providing research on ways to increase operational efficiency and sustainability
- Planning and hosting community events, including the City's annual Sustainability Awards and Earth Day celebration
- Planting and maintaining the annual employee herb garden
- Collecting and sharing ideas that encourage sustainable lifestyle choices for employees
Earth Day Celebration
- Lakewood celebrates Earth Day with a variety of activities, including an annual Earth Day Celebration in April that showcases companies, agencies, and organizations who help attendees make more sustainable choices.
- The City maintains a monthly sustainability newsletter and Facebook page with community news, City updates, and educational articles.
- The City launched the Lakewood Sustainability Cooperative, a network of of residents, businesses, and other community partners who volunteer their knowledge, experience, and skills to support sustainability efforts in the community.