Starting a small business
in Lakewood is easy!
Just follow these steps.
Ask Yourself a Few Questions
If the answer is "no" to any of these then STOP! Call Lakewood Economic Development today to learn about your available resources.
- Have I reviewed the handy State of Colorado "Starting Your Business" checklist?
- Have I looked at the State of Colorado's "Start a Business" website?
- Do I have a business plan, complete with goals and objectives?
- Have you secured sufficient financial backing to tide your business through more challenging times?
- Have you calculated a formal financial plan, which includes projected profits, losses, and anticipated cash flow?
- In addition to traditional banks, check with alternative lenders to determine what loan programs are available to help.
Find an Appropriate Location
Zoning codes ensure proper land use. Whether you are a home-based business or plan to occupy office space, you must confirm you can operate at your desired location. Lakewood's Economic Development specialists can help select the perfect site based on your unique needs taking into consideration cost, zoning, size, traffic counts, visibility, demographics or whatever you need! Call and we'll run a search for you.
Apply for a Lakewood Sales and/or Use Tax License
ALL entities doing business in Lakewood are required to hold a Lakewood Sales and/or Use Tax License, even if you anticipate no tax liability. Tax seminars are offered on a semi-annual basis.
Obtain All Other Required Licenses and Permits
Research all Lakewood permits and licenses your business will need, in addition to Jefferson County and the state of Colorado.
Promote Your Business or Grand Opening for Free!
As much as we'd like to believe the movie "Field of Dreams," the motto "if you build it, they will come" does not apply here. Economic Development publishes grand openings in many venues. Don't miss this opportunity to get a little free publicity.
Network and Become Active in the Community!
Watch the Starting a Business Video