Permits and Licenses

The zoning, planning and permitting process can often be overwhelming to navigate. From a small tenant finish to a 100 acre New Urbanism project, Economic Development can guide you where you need to go. Permits and licenses are issued by numerous city departments. 

City Clerk's Permits and Licenses
To find general operations permits, please begin your search with the City Clerk.

  • Liquor, Beer and Dance Club Licenses
  • Adult, Escort, Massage Parlor and Medical Marijuana Licenses
  • Amusement Arcades
  • Block Parties and Parade Permits
  • Christmas Tree and Fireworks Sales
  • Dog Licenses
  • Noise Permits
  • Pawnbroker's Licenses

Public Works Department - Building Division
All tenant finish work and improvements to a property is required to be done with a building permit. All contractors must be registered.  

  • Contractor registration
  • Building, electrical and other Permits

Planning Department -  Development Assistance
The redevelopment of a property in Lakewood must go through a site planning review. If your project involves developing property, please contact the Planning Department.

  • Pre-planning site consultations
  • Sign permits
  • Fence permits
  • Land development applications

Finance Department - Revenue Division
All entities doing business in the City of Lakewood are required to hold a Sales and/or Use Tax license. This applies to home-based businesses as well. Apply for a license with the Finance Department.

  • Sales Tax Licenses
  • Use Tax Licenses


Questions, Complaints, Concerns?

Visit Request Lakewood
Request Lakewood Logo

Contact Information:

Lakewood Economic Development
Civic Center South
480 S. Allison Parkway
Lakewood, CO 80226
Direct: 303-987-7050 | Email:

Quick Links

view all


view all
How do I find the zoning of a property?
What do I need to do to develop in Lakewood?